- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
For caramel sauce:
- 48 (10.8 ounces) Werther’s Original Chewy Caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened cut into small pieces
For crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving excess for easy removal, and grease lightly with cooking spray. Combine sugar, flour and salt in a large bowl, and whisk together. Stir in melted butter and chocolate chips until a crumbly dough forms. Transfer dough to prepared pan, pressing evenly into bottom. Bake until light golden-brown, about 20 minutes.
For caramel sauce: Combine caramels and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave mixture in 30-second increments, stirring between each increment, until caramels begin to melt, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Add cream and salt, and continue to stir until mixture is smooth, about 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
For filling: Combine apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Spread apple mixture evenly over the par-baked crust. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of caramel sauce.
For streusel: Mix brown sugar, flour, oats and butter in a large bowl until pea-sized crumbs form. Sprinkle mixture over apples, and bake until golden-brown, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Top with desired remaining caramel sauce. Slice into bars and serve.
Makes: approx. 16 servings/pieces
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hr 2 minutes